Whitemarsh Township is having a ceremony to honor our veterans this Saturday, at Miles Park, Veterans Monument. Spring Mill will be providing Fire Police and
On October 13th the members of Spring Mill Fire Company and Barren Hill Fire Company were recognized for their years of volunteer service to Whitemarsh Township. Both companies were also presented with a Commendation from the Board of Supervisors for their efforts during Tropical Storm Ida.
Members from Spring Mill Fire Company that were recognized were:
10 years – Juan Contreras
15 years – Joe Heil
20 years – Vince Messantonio
25 years – Jeff Heil
30 years – John Warner
35 years – Ann Waters (posthumously recognized) accepting on her behalf, her husband George “Skip” Waters.
55 years – Marvin Haines
On Saturday, October 29th, 2022 at 10:52 hours we had a walk-in at our station, tenants from a nearby residential complex reported their carbon monoxide detector was going off and that there were contractors on location doing work. They requested that we could check out their apartment.
The incident was reported to Montgomery County Emergency Operations Center to dispatch the company to the alarm. Assistant 45 arrived on the scene reporting that workers were on location and detectors were sounding. Shortly after Squad 45 arrived on the scene and the company went into service with gas meters to get readings inside the property. The meters quickly showed high levels on all three floors of the building.
The incident was upgraded requesting the assistance of the next-due Ladder from Plymouth Fire Company No. 1 (Montco 43). All hands went into service with fans and additional meters. After 3 hours of ventilating all 3 floors and 12 residential units, the residents were able to return to their units.
The residents who came to our station to report their concerns did the right thing by reporting it, however always call 911 to report any concerns of carbon monoxide, this will expedite the process and get the necessary resources to your location quickly. So many times we hear people apologizing to us for calling us, they feel like they are inconveniencing us. It is not inconvenient to us, we are here to provide a service that keeps our community safe.
Never hesitate to dial 911 to report any type of detector going off. We have the tools necessary to verify if it is a faulty detector or a true emergency. So for the safety of you, your family, and your neighbors’ DIAL 911.
At 16:45 hours the company was dispatched to a dumpster fire at the rear of the Whitemarsh Shopping Center. Chief 45 arrived on the scene with a working dumpster fire 50 yards from the rear of the building. Squad 45 with a crew of 4 arrived and went into service with a trash line and quickly knocked down the fire. Once the fire was extinguished the scene was turned over to FM32 and Whitemarsh Police Department.
On 3/4/22 at 16:14 hours Spring Mill Fire Company was dispatched for a vehicle into a pole with unknown injuries and there was some sort of explosion. Deputy 45 arrived on scene with a vehicle that cut a utility pole in half, with the transformer on the ground leaking, and wires down and energized. The victim was not in the vehicle upon his arrival, the victim suffered minor injuries. Crews monitored the scene until PECO arrived on the scene.
On March 2nd at 19:17 hours Spring Mill Fire Company was dispatched for a field fire behind our firehouse. A passerby stopped in the firehouse to report that the woods behind our station was on fire. Engineer 45 was the first on location and reported a 50′ x 25′ section of the woods was on fire. Shortly after, Assistant 45 arrived on the scene and requested an additional Engine for additional water to supply Squad 45. Crews went to service with a 1 3/4″ line along with a 1/2″ trash line and some field rakes to extinguish the fire.