January 1996, this was the first Dalmatian at the fire company. Ruby stays at the firehouse and responds to every call on the apparatus. Also in 1996, the fire company purchased a Mack Ladder Truck from the Hatboro Fire Co. The truck was refurbished and placed into service in February 1997. This was the first ladder truck owned by the Spring Mill Fire Co.
A Houseman/Paid Driver was hired in November 1995 for the duties of cleaning of the firehouse and maintenance of the apparatus. His duties also included driving the apparatus to the fire calls.
In March 1990, the Fire Company entered into a lease agreement with Lee Park for use of Fire Company property. The purpose of the lease was to renovate the grounds into parking lots for Lee Park Office Complex. The Board of Directors, solicitor, and Brian and Michael O’ Neill approved the details of the lease. All maintenance of the grounds was to be handled by Lee Park. Included in this lease was the complete renovation of the Mansion House.
Extensive renovations were made to the firehouse in 1973 under a contract for additions and alterations. The changes to the first floor included one additional apparatus bay and an extension of the rear existing engine room. Also, a complete renovation of the first floor meeting rooms, clubroom, as well as the addition of new rest rooms and stair towers to the first floor. The changes to the second floor included a new wing on the west end of the auditorium, a relocated kitchen area, remodeling of the existing auditorium and new rest rooms. The exterior of the building included a..Read More
In June 1972, Hurricane Agnes swept through the area dumping several inches of rain. The Fire Company rescued people out of local factories as the Schuylkill River overflowed its banks and flooded the area. The members pumped out basements for 64 hours. Whitemarsh Township gave a plaque to the members for a job well done.
In March 1971, there was a discussion about forming a fire police unit to close roads at fire scenes, park cars at the fire house for functions and other special services as required. In April, the company approved to purchase equipment for eight members of the Fire Police Unit.
On February 6th 1970, The Ladies Auxiliary acquired their Charter.
In July 1968, after much discussion, the Scuba Diving Unit was formed as a river rescue unit. Preparations began to give scuba diving classes to the members of the company. In October, the Whitemarsh Township Lions Club donated the first Rescue Boat to the Spring Mill Fire Co. for drowning and river searches.
In 1964, a Maxim 750 GPM pumper with a 500 gallon tank, 1,250 feet of 2 1/2″ hose, 600 feet of 1 1/2″ hose, a smoke ejector and 3 air packs was purchased. The cost of this unit fully equipped was $29,175. The Fourth District housed the unit. In 1992, pumper was donated to The Mill Rift Fire Company, located in Northeast Pennsylvania, This unit became their first out unit and is still in service today. The truck was donated due to the need of the company for a truck but insufficient funds to purchase a new vehicle
On May 13, 1958, the Fire Company voted to purchase a Maxim 700 GPM for a cost of $22,000. The apparatus was delivered in April, 1959. With repairs being too costly to this vehicle, the truck was sold in November, 1981 for $475.00.