In September 1923 a dozen residents from the Spring Mill area and surrounding vicinities had a meeting at The Prizer Hotel on Hector Street to discuss the organization of a volunteer fire company. Frank Davidson was elected chairman and was to notify all male residents of Whitemarsh West of a meeting at the Spring Mill School House. Sixty-five men attended and officers were elected as followed: David Dowdle, President; Arthur Youngjohn, Vice President; Reuben Kilpatrick, Recording Secretary; John Gravel, Financial Secretary; Samuel McFarland, Treasurer. Trustees were Roscoe Prizer and Thomas W Morris.